A healthier version than what you’d find in the supermarket, but does still contain some sugar. In small amounts our body shouldn’t have a problem converting sugar to energy especially since it’s well balanced with healthy fats and protein from the nuts and seeds.
- 2 1⁄2 cups rolled oats
- 1⁄2 cup shredded coconut
- 1⁄4 cup pepitas
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup dried dates, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup raw cashews, roughly chopped 1⁄4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 120°C fan forced. Line a 20 x 30cm rectangular baking tin with baking paper.
- Place the rolled oats, coconut, pepitas, chia seeds, cinnamon, dates and cashews in a large bowl.
- Place the coconut oil, sugar, honey and vanillain a medium saucepan over a medium heat. Stir until all the sugar is dissolved and the ingredients are well combined.
- Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stirto combine.
- Add the beaten egg and mix until allingredients are well combined.
- Use slightly wet hands to press mixture firmlyinto a prepared tin. Smooth with the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40–45 minutes, oruntil an even golden brown. Set aside to cool completely in the tin before removing and cutting into bars.