These cookies are great to make in batches and have on hand if you need a little nibble or are looking for something a bit sweet. The good fats from the peanut butter and almond meal will help stabilize your blood sugar levels and energy and the cacao will give you a nice little hit of magnesium. 1 – 2 cookies a couple of hours before training (if you need something) will work well, but given the energy density, don’t have these just before you train or you might end up with a stitch.
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of coconut oil
- 1/2 cup of spelt flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
- 1/2 cup of rolled oats
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Melt coconut oil and then mix in peanut butter, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Take tablespoons of the mixture and roll into balls. Flatten out slightly with a fork on a baking tray.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 15 minutes and then turn oven down to 160 degrees and bake for another 10 – 15 minutes or until golden.
- Cookies will be slightly soft when you pull them out, but will cool into the perfect texture!
- Store in an airtight container.