Train for an Ocean Swim
... and help us make a difference to early career cancer research!
About this program
This is a 10 week intermediate ocean swim group training program.
It's for pool swimmers looking to face their first ocean swim, or for those who have completed an ocean swim before and looking for further guidance.
After 10 weeks training you will be able to:
- Use the ocean to your advantage
- Say "I am an ocean swimmer!"
All ocean training sessions are supported by water safety crew from surf clubs local to our training beaches, familiar with local conditions, close by at all times.
As a registered Australian charity, all our programs fundraise for cancer research — it's an important part of why we do what we do.
We aim to take part in The Mooloolaba Mile Ocean Swim as our goal event on 24 March 2024.
Are you ready to ocean swim?
If you can swim freestyle for at least 200m in the pool without stopping (which is a condition of entry into this program), you’re well on your way.
You'll train twice per week under the guidance of qualified, experienced ocean swim coaches.
Pool swim sessions mid-week focus on:
- Refreshing swim skills
- Building base swimming fitness
- Learning how to swim more efficiently
- Practicing basic ocean swimming techniques
- Drills for stroke correction
Open water sessions on Saturday and Sunday mornings focus on:
- Identifying changing ocean conditions – waves, rips, tides, sandbanks, and more
- Learning to enter and exit the water safely
- Increasing your swim distance in the ocean under supervision
- Learning advanced surf skills and using the ocean to your advantage
By raising $995, you will meet your minimum fundraising commitment for this program.
If you go above and beyond, thank you for supporting early career cancer research.
|1.6km Ocean Swim
|3km Ocean Swim
Redcliffe Beach & Rainbow Bay Beach
Stuartholme School Pool
6.00pm - 7.15pm
Alternating between Saturdays and Sundays at Stuartholme School Pool, Redcliffe Beach and Rainbow Bay
Help fund lifesaving cancer research
... common fundraising questions.
Do I have to fundraise?
Absolutely. Our vision is transforming lives – through improving health and wellbeing of the community and supporting the research, prevention and control of cancer.
To deliver our vision, Can Too has a two part mission:
Cancer prevention - Professionally coached programs promote healthy lifestyles and aid in reducing the risk of one-third of cancers which are lifestyle-related.
Cancer Research - We are proud to have raised more than $25 million since 2005, funding early career cancer researchers. Further information is available here.
Where does the money go?
When you fundraise for Can Too Foundation, you’re fundraising for Australian cancer research and prevention. We focus on investing in early career cancer researchers across all cancer types.
As a registered charity, we will always be careful with every single dollar we spend and completely transparent in our reporting. Read more.
What if I don't meet my commitment?
Can Too has been teaching people to run and raise funds for cancer research since 2005. We know that you’ll do everything you can to fundraise for Australia's most promising cancer research projects and we’ll help you every step of the way.
If, due to personal circumstances, you feel you can’t meet your commitment, please contact us.
How long do I have to fundraise?
The good news is that you have until 30 days after your program finishes to meet your commitment to cancer research and prevention.
You'll have an active fundraising page from the moment you sign up, so our suggestion is sign up early!
How do I start fundraising?
Once you register for a Can Too program, you will automatically have an online fundraising page on the Can Too website. Your online fundraising page can be shared with friends, family and colleagues who would like to support you in your fitness and fundraising goal with a tax deductable donation.
Try these tips to make the most out of your fundraising page:
- Personalise your fundraising page - add your profile photo, a personal message and shots from your weekly training.
- Set the standard for generosity when you make the first donation. Your family and friends will follow your example when deciding how much to donate.
- What does health and wellbeing mean to you? Tell people why you’re passionate about joining Can Too.
- Reach out beyond your inner circle – ask family, friends, colleagues, and your community to donate. You are providing them with an opportunity to support valuable cancer research.
- Get social. Social posts are all great for letting your circle know what you are up to. Use our social media posts to get inspired.
- Update your fundraising goal. Have you reached your $1350 goal? Change it to $2000. Ask people to help you reach your next fundraising milestone.
- Remember to thank your donors publicly – tag them in a Facebook or LinkedIn post, or in person. The people who donate to your fundraising page are helping to make an incredible difference to support innovation in the prevention, care and control of cancer – please thank them from us!
Question? Let's chat.
All our staff are experts in our programs. Most of us started as beginners, faced the same challenges as you, and are here to share our experiences and advice