Discover Your Ocean Skills
... and help beat cancer!
About this program
This is a 14 week entry-level ocean swim training program - incorporating weekly training both in the pool and the ocean.
It's for pool swimmers looking to face their first ocean swim, or current ocean swimmers seeking further guidance.
After 14 weeks training you will be able to:
- Read ocean conditions
- Use the ocean to your advantage
- Say "I am an ocean swimmer!"
- Participate, as a group, in an organised ocean goal swim event.
- Achieve a goal you previously never thought possible.
All ocean training sessions are supported by water safety crew from surf clubs, familiar with local conditions, close by at all times.
We aim to participate in the following Goal Swims:
- The BIG SWIM at Palm Beach
- The North Bondi Swim Classic
- The Shark Island Swim at Cronulla
As a registered Australian charity, all our programs fundraise for cancer research — it's an important part of why we do what we do.
Are you ready to ocean swim?
If you can swim freestyle for at least 200m in the pool without stopping (which is a condition of entry into this program), you’re well on your way
You'll train twice per week under the guidance of qualified, experienced ocean swim coaches.
Pool swim sessions mid-week focus on:
- Refreshing swim skills
- Building base swimming fitness
- Learning how to swim more efficiently
- Practicing basic ocean swimming techniques
- Drills for stroke correction
Ocean swim sessions on Saturday mornings focus on:
- Identifying changing ocean conditions – waves, rips, tides, sandbanks, and more
- Learning to enter and exit the water safely
- Increasing your swim distance in the ocean under supervision
- Learning advanced surf skills and using the ocean to your advantage
Due to the holiday break, there will be no coached training sessions from 22 Dec 2023 – 5 Jan 2024 (inclusive).
Please note that pool entry is not covered as a part of your Can Too program registration fee. Passes and multi-packs are available at most pools.
Check pool availability
Joining a Can Too Program is both a fundraising and a fitness commitment. We will provide professional coached sessions and training, and in return you commit to raising $1360 to support early career cancer researchers.
We are so proud that since 2005 we have raised over $25 million and funded 202 early career cancer research projects. Together we can make a massive impact.
We've safely taught 5,312 people just like you to ocean swim
Learning to ocean swim with Can Too is life changing.
I missed the ocean living overseas. Since arriving home I'd seen people ocean swimming, but I didn’t know how to, and felt unprepared to join in.
From the very start of the Can Too program I felt like that this is part of me and these are my people. I was humbled and in awe of everyone's ability to progress with the things they teach you. Over time you put it all together and then next thing you know you’re an ocean swimmer!
Emily, Ocean Swimmer
A life-changing experience for $299
... and $580+ of value!
|Ask A Question|
Surf club water safety crew support all ocean training
I was blown away by the level of water safety and coaching at the beach, we always felt safe.
I didn’t know what to expect at the first session, all of the support team were fantastic. I highly recommend Can Too!
When a family member asked about my race time, a supportive Can Tooer who had been congratulating me cheerfully said ‘she did her finish time’. That’s the Can Too way: it doesn’t matter what time it takes, it matters that you conquered a goal you never thought you could do before.
Julia, Ocean Swimmer
Your fundraising has an incredible impact
... some of our top FAQ's.
What is my fundraising commitment?
We will provide your coaching and support throughout the 14-week program. In return, your commitment is to raise a minimum of $1360.
Don’t let that worry you too much, we’ve been doing this since 2005 so we have plenty of resources available to help you achieve your fundraising goal. Plus, you’ll have a Team Captain and Mentor/s to guide you through. The best approach is to have a plan and to start early.
Is fundraising compulsory?
Absolutely. Our vision is transforming lives – through improving health and wellbeing of the community and supporting the research, prevention and control of cancer.
To deliver our vision, Can Too has a dual mission:
Cancer prevention - Professionally coached programs promote healthy lifestyles and aid in reducing the risk of one-third of cancers which are lifestyle-related.
Cancer Research - We are proud to have raised more than $25 million since 2005, funding early career cancer researchers. Further information is available here.
How do I start fundraising?
Once you register for a Can Too program, you will automatically have an online fundraising page on the Can Too website. Your online fundraising page can be shared with friends, family and colleagues who would like to support you in your fitness and fundraising goal with a tax deductable donation.
Try these tips to make the most out of your fundraising page:
- Personalise your fundraising page - add your profile photo, a personal message and shots from your weekly training.
- Set the standard for generosity when you make the first donation. Your family and friends will follow your example when deciding how much to donate.
- What does health and wellbeing mean to you? Tell people why you’re passionate about joining Can Too.
- Reach out beyond your inner circle – ask family, friends, colleagues, and your community to donate. You are providing them with an opportunity to support valuable cancer research.
- Get social. Social posts are all great for letting your circle know what you are up to. Use our social media posts to get inspired.
- Update your fundraising goal. Have you reached your $1350 goal? Change it to $2000. Ask people to help you reach your next fundraising milestone.
- Remember to thank your donors publicly – tag them in a Facebook or LinkedIn post, or in person. The people who donate to your fundraising page are helping to make an incredible difference to support innovation in the prevention, care and control of cancer – please thank them from us!
Where does the money go?
When you fundraise for Can Too Foundation, you’re fundraising for Australian cancer research and prevention. We focus on investing in early career cancer researchers across all cancer types.
As a registered charity, we will always be careful with every single dollar we spend and completely transparent in our reporting. Read more.
What if I don't meet my commitment?
Can Too has been teaching people to run and raise funds for cancer research since 2005. We know that you’ll do everything you can to fundraise for Australia's most promising cancer research projects and we’ll help you every step of the way.
If, due to personal circumstances, you feel you can’t meet your commitment, please contact us.
How long do I have to fundraise?
The good news is that you have until 30 days after your program finishes to meet your commitment to cancer research and prevention.
You'll have an active fundraising page from the moment you sign up, so our suggestion is to start early!
Be a part of something bigger than yourself
I never realised how significant Can Too would be, how important it was to have an outlet, away from our life which was all about cancer and searching for treatments.
Can Too helped me to not just stay physically fit but mentally strong. We lived by a mantra we adopted with our Can Too program – ‘just keep swimming’.
It resonates with me how Can Too’s fundraising goes to a cause close to my late wife's heart. They’re still looking for answers for the type of cancer that she had. Without research there isn’t much hope.
Craig, Ocean Swimmer
We Ocean Swimming
... and you will too!
The end of your Can Too program is the beginning of your life as an ocean swimmer.
For the rest of summer, you can confidently join a range of ocean swim events alongside your new Can Too friends.
The friends you meet in your program will help you make the most of beautiful weather, blue water, great friends, and wrap up summer with a set of ocean swim experiences that you'll never forget.
|Ask A Question|