Become A Half Marathoner
... and help us smash the barriers to a longer, healthier life for yourself and for people with cancer.
About this program
This 14 week program is for runners of all abilities looking to train with a professional coach in a fun, safe, group environment for the Half Marathon distance.
On 5 May 2024 you will achieve your goal by running 21kms with your Can Too team at the Runaway Sydney Half Marathon (formerly the SMH Half Marathon).
Add this medal to your Runaway collection! Queenstown, Hawkes Bay, Noosa and now SYDNEY!
Join us as we take on a new course covering the iconic sights of Sydney and the Harbour on one of the world’s most beautiful half marathons
Are you ready to run a half marathon?
Our coaches are experts in turning aspiring runners into half marathoners. If you're concerned about your ability, please contact us. We'd love to help you set a suitable goal.
Please Note: Your Can Too registration fee covers coaching, admin costs and track entry, where applicable. Event entry is payable separately through the Runaway Sydney Half Marathon website.
You'll train twice each week under the guidance of a supportive, experienced half marathon coach with an excellent track-record in training first-timers to successfully complete their goal event.
Mid-week interval training typically covers:
- how to run more efficiently
- improving core strength
- proper breathing techniques
- understanding injury prevention
- presentations by guest speakers.
Saturday distance runs typically:
- focus on running form
- build endurance
- improve mental focus
- work on pacing and race strategy.
Fundraising to power early career cancer researchers is an important part of who we are.
By raising $995 you will meet your minimum fundraising commitment.
We'll support you every step of the way to achieve your fundraising goals. Step out of the crowd and be part of something bigger than running.
Click to view local session times.
|Eastern Suburbs||Register Here|
|Inner West||Register Here|
|Northern Beaches||Register Here|
|Central Coast||Register Here|
We Half Marathon's
... and you will too!
Join thousands of runners from across the country on Sunday 5 May 2024 in one of Australia’s largest and most prestigious Half Marathon events.
Showcasing Sydney’s stunning landscape, including views of the Sydney Opera House, Harbour Bridge, The Rocks and Pyrmont Peninsula - the event is a truly iconic road race.
$618 value for only $249!
Help fund lifesaving cancer research
... common fundraising questions.
What is my fundraising commitment?
We will provide your coaching and support throughout the 14-week program. In return, your commitment is to raise a minimum of $995.
Don’t let that worry you too much, we’ve been doing this since 2005 so we have plenty of resources available to help you achieve your fundraising goal. Plus, you’ll have a Team Captain and Mentor/s to guide you through. The best approach is to have a plan and to start early.
Do I have to fundraise?
Absolutely. Our vision is transforming lives – through improving health and wellbeing of the community and supporting the research, prevention and control of cancer.
To deliver our vision, Can Too has a two part mission:
Cancer prevention - Professionally coached programs promote healthy lifestyles and aid in reducing the risk of one-third of cancers which are lifestyle-related.
Cancer Research - We are proud to have raised more than $25 million since 2005, funding early career cancer researchers. Further information is available here.
Where does the money go?
When you fundraise for Can Too Foundation, you’re fundraising for Australian cancer research and prevention. We focus on investing in early career cancer researchers across all cancer types.
As a registered charity, we will always be careful with every single dollar we spend and completely transparent in our reporting. Read more.
What if I don't meet my commitment?
Can Too has been teaching people to run and raise funds for cancer research since 2005. We know that you’ll do everything you can to fundraise for Australia's most promising cancer research projects and we’ll help you every step of the way.
If, due to personal circumstances, you feel you can’t meet your commitment, please contact us.
How long do I have to fundraise?
The good news is that you have until 30 days after your program finishes to meet your commitment to cancer research and prevention. You'll have an active fundraising page from the moment you sign up, so our suggestion is sign up early!
How do I start fundraising?
Once you register for a Can Too program, you will automatically have an online fundraising page on the Can Too website. Your online fundraising page can be shared with friends, family and colleagues who would like to support you in your fitness and fundraising goal with a tax deductable donation.
Try these tips to make the most out of your fundraising page:
- Personalise your fundraising page - add your profile photo, a personal message and shots from your weekly training.
- Set the standard for generosity when you make the first donation. Your family and friends will follow your example when deciding how much to donate.
- What does health and wellbeing mean to you? Tell people why you’re passionate about joining Can Too.
- Reach out beyond your inner circle – ask family, friends, colleagues, and your community to donate. You are providing them with an opportunity to support valuable cancer research.
- Get social. Social posts are all great for letting your circle know what you are up to. Use our social media posts to get inspired.
- Update your fundraising goal. Have you reached your $1350 goal? Change it to $2000. Ask people to help you reach your next fundraising milestone.
- Remember to thank your donors publicly – tag them in a Facebook or LinkedIn post, or in person. The people who donate to your fundraising page are helping to make an incredible difference to support innovation in the prevention, care and control of cancer – please thank them from us!
Question? Let's chat.
Our staff are regulars in our programs. We all started as beginners, faced the same challenges as you, and are here to share our experiences and advice.