Train for a 5km Ocean Swim
... to be supported to smash the barriers to a longer, healthier life for yourself - and for people with cancer.
About this program
This intensive six-week program is designed for confident ocean swimmers looking to take on the Balmoral 5km open water challenge, on Sunday 24 March - the half marathon of ocean swimming!
To join this program you must be able to:
- complete a 1km pool swim at 2:20/100m pace; and
- completed a 2km, or longer, ocean swim within the last 12 months.
All registrations are subject to Coach approval.
As a registered Australian charity, all our programs fundraise for cancer research — it's an important part of why we do what we do.
You'll train twice per week under the guidance of qualified, experienced swim coaches.
Two mid-week pool swim sessions focus on:
- reinforcing efficient swimming techniques
- building swim endurance and speed
You will also be provided with a Training Program to guide additional non-coached sessions, which will help you to achieve your goal of the Balmoral 5km open water swim.
Be a part of something bigger than yourself
I never realised how significant Can Too would be, how important it was to have an outlet, away from our life which was all about cancer and searching for treatments.
Can Too helped me to not just stay physically fit but mentally strong. We lived by a mantra we adopted with our Can Too program – ‘just keep swimming’.
It resonates with me how Can Too’s fundraising goes to a cause close to my late wife's heart. They’re still looking for answers for the type of cancer that she had. Without research there isn’t much hope.
Craig, Ocean Swimmer
We open water swimming
... and you will too!
The end of your Can Too program is the beginning of your life as an open water swimmer.
With a limited number of swimmers, this is the perfect event to challenge yourself in a safe environment with little chance of waves or currents.
This course takes you from the sandy shores of Balmoral Beach towards Chinaman’s Beach and back again.
The friends you meet in your program will help you make the most of your journey to becoming a 5km swimmer, and wrap up summer with a set of swim experiences that you'll never forget.
|Ask A Question||Registrations Closed|
A life-changing experience for $149
... and $580+ of value!
You are what funds research
... our top five FAQ's.
Is fundraising compulsory?
Absolutely. Our vision is transforming lives – through improving health and wellbeing of the community and supporting the research, prevention and control of cancer.
To deliver our vision, Can Too has a dual mission:
Cancer prevention - Professionally coached programs promote healthy lifestyles and aid in reducing the risk of one-third of cancers which are lifestyle-related.
Cancer Research - We are proud to have raised more than $25 million since 2005, funding early career cancer researchers. Further information is available here.
What is my fundraising commitment?
We will provide your coaching and support throughout the 6-week program. In return, your commitment is to raise a minimum of $595.
Don’t let that worry you too much, we’ve been doing this since 2005 so we have plenty of resources available to help you achieve your fundraising goal. Plus, you’ll have a Team Captain and Mentor/s to guide you through. The best approach is to have a plan and to start early.
Where does the money go?
When you fundraise for Can Too Foundation, you’re fundraising for Australian cancer research and prevention. We focus on investing in early career cancer researchers across all cancer types.
As a registered charity, we will always be careful with every single dollar we spend and completely transparent in our reporting. Read more.
What if I don't meet my commitment?
Can Too has been teaching people to run and raise funds for cancer research since 2005. We know that you’ll do everything you can to fundraise for Australia's most promising cancer research projects and we’ll help you every step of the way.
If, due to personal circumstances, you feel you can’t meet your commitment, please contact us.
How long do I have to fundraise?
The good news is that you have until 30 days after your program finishes to meet your commitment to cancer research and prevention.
You'll have an active fundraising page from the moment you sign up, so our suggestion is to start early!
How do I start fundraising?
Once you register for a Can Too program, you will automatically have an online fundraising page on the Can Too website. Your online fundraising page can be shared with friends, family and colleagues who would like to support you in your fitness and fundraising goal with a tax deductable donation.
Try these tips to make the most out of your fundraising page:
- Personalise your fundraising page - add your profile photo, a personal message and shots from your weekly training.
- Set the standard for generosity when you make the first donation. Your family and friends will follow your example when deciding how much to donate.
- What does health and wellbeing mean to you? Tell people why you’re passionate about joining Can Too.
- Reach out beyond your inner circle – ask family, friends, colleagues, and your community to donate. You are providing them with an opportunity to support valuable cancer research.
- Get social. Social posts are all great for letting your circle know what you are up to. Use our social media posts to get inspired.
- Update your fundraising goal. Have you reached your $1350 goal? Change it to $2000. Ask people to help you reach your next fundraising milestone.
- Remember to thank your donors publicly – tag them in a Facebook or LinkedIn post, or in person. The people who donate to your fundraising page are helping to make an incredible difference to support innovation in the prevention, care and control of cancer – please thank them from us!