Cinema Movie Night Fundraising Eventby Alana Black 02 Nov 2017
Most cinemas hold special events such as advance screenings. If you contact the cinema requesting that you wish to hold a fundraising event at one of these advance screenings, they will donate part of the cost of the ticket to your fundraising (included in the price is a beverage). Other cinemas will sell you tickets at reduced prices allowing you add your fundraising margin on top.
How does the event work?
- Contact your local or city cinema to find out what packages they offer
- Invite everyone to come an hour before the screening and provide refreshments (you can have this donated or cater yourself)
- Hold a raffle – get great prizes donated from local businesses or friends who could provide a service i.e. massage therapists or who work at companies that can provide you with products. This will add another money stream to your night’s activities.
- To make this worth your while you need to ensure bums on seats!!!!
- Some cinemas will rope off an exclusive area for your event
How much should I charge for the event?
It is common to ask between $30 and $35, including a beverage. The cinema can often advise on what to charge. You may also want to include finger food and or a choc top ice cream depending on the venue and the time of your screening:
- Offer an incentive for pre-payment e.g. pre-pay $30 or $35 on the door (people are more likely to show up when they have pre-paid)
- You will have a better idea of your final numbers before the event
By having a raffle or auction on the night, you can maximise your fundraising efforts:
- When people have pre-paid they are more likely to buy raffle tickets (they don’t feel as if they are paying out more money)
- Offer 3 tickets for $5 or 7 tickets for $10. This ensures maximum uptake of raffle tickets and makes people feel as if they are getting a lot for their money
- Ask your local bottle shop, butcher, newsagent, hairdresser etc for a prize donation
HOW TO GET STARTED?
6 or more weeks:
- Enquire at your local cinema for up and coming movies and secure a suitable date and any package they may offer
- Start emailing friends and family to save the date
- Make an event on facebook to invite all your friends
- Make an event on Can Too Facebook page inviting everyone
4 weeks before:
- Re-email friends and family asking them to purchase tickets
- Ask a couple of friends or local businesses to donate prizes for your raffle
2 weeks before:
- Email or FB again, saying “Hurry only a few seats left” giving it some urgency to encourage people to sign up
Ask a couple of friends to help you on the night:
- You will need help at the door to take money from those paying on the day and to mark off those who have paid
- Another friend can also mingle and sell raffle tickets
- Arrange collection of brochures/banner/posters from Can Too
1 week before:
- Email/FB with “Last chance to pre-pay” with a cut-off date!
ON THE DAY CHECKLIST!
- Raffle prizes & ticket books
- If you are self-catering, platters of finger food
- MONEY! Have enough change for people paying on the evening and change for raffle tickets
- A raffle always adds to the fundraising
- Ask your friends to bring their friends to add to your numbers.
- Don’t forget to thank everyone for coming to the event, letting them know how much money you raised!!